Web Refactoring into Testability Workshop
In this workshop, expert Scott Davis (Web Architect and Developer Advocate, ThoughtWorks) brings the engineering rigor of Refactoring to an existing, perfectly functional website -- a website that works now, but might give anyone pause if they were tasked with adding some new functionality to it. The website is what Scott affectionately calls "20th Century Idiomatic" -- "page-centric" if one is feeling charitable; "monolithic" and "pathologically global" if less so.
Join Scott as he brings 21st Century web development practices and programming to the "internal structure" of the website -- web components and custom events; templates and shadow DOM; -- and modern testing tools -- Gauge and Taiko -- that "make it easier to understand and cheaper to modify without changing its observable behavior".
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live, hands-on, online course, you’ll understand:
- Refactoring and Testing strategies
- HTML5 Custom Elements, Shadow DOM, HTML Templates, Custom Events
- Free and open-source testing tools like Gauge and Taiko
And you’ll be able to:
- Refactor a monolithic website into one based on framework-free, standards-based Web Components
- Learn about modern testing strategies and tools
This training course is for you because...
- You're a web developer
- You work with standards-based HTML5 technologies
- You want to become a better front-end web developer
- We will be writing very little code from scratch. Most exercises involve rearranging existing code, finished labs will be provided for each exercise.
- Have NodeJS 10.x or higher installed on your local machine.
- Use npm to download and install Taiko and Gauge.
- Download or clone the GitHub repository link and bookmark the live demo website URL.
You may also be interested in
Growing up in Honduras, Bolivia, India, Nepal and Indonesia, Thomas believes innovation decision making is one of the most far-reaching...